In which I commit to a huge sweater project

Photos from BT Men
Let’s just take a minute here and talk about how awesome Brooklyn Tweed is. Again. While I’m always finding myself in love with BT collections, along with the rest of the knitting world, but there are two reasons that I’m especially happy about BT men:
1. The world really needs more modern men’s sweaters
2. Those sweaters should be modeled by (really) well-styled bearded men in a loft. Obviously.

Tragically for me, the boy that has stolen my heart is also less than fond of handknits, especially garments. (I’m confident I’ll get him one day, but today is not that day) The other knitworthy guy in my life is my dad and, well.. his wardrobe just happens to be lacking in the classic woolly sweater department. So, I send off the lookbook with an offer to make him a sweater if he liked any of them and he responded with a vote for Timberline because “it would fit well should [he] decide to start smoking a pipe in [his] later years.”

Photos from BT Men
This sweater was one of my favourites after a first look through, possibly because it reminds me of Exeter (which has been in the back of my brain as a bucket list sweater for ages). Though I have to say, Dad, way to pick the sweater with the greatest yardage requirement. Seriously. Never mind that long torsos and gorilla arms run in the family, both of which necessitate yardage-eating sweater modifications. And while I’d love to tackle this in the recommended Shelter, I also really like paying rent and eating food. So, I was brainstorming possible subs and I’m leaning toward something like Briggs and Little Regal, or maybe even just Cascade 220.

So, here’s to men’s sweaters! And tweed! And dreams of fall!

What were your favourites from this collection? Are you already thinking about fall knits?

9 comments:

  1. I loved them all! I am dreaming of a Chesterfield for myself and a Slade cardigan for my love. Beautiful collection, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore the Chesterfield! I feel like this fall/winter is going to be all about coziness for me, and sweatshirt inspired knits are definitely the ticket.

      Delete
  2. I love Timberline! I showed my boyfriend (also not always crazy about hand kits because he doesn't want me buying yarn all the time!) the collection and he loved every piece but he also wants a Timberline. I'm so excited to make it for him, I already ordered the yarn. But, yeah, ouch. No more impulse yarn buying for a while!!!

    That being said, I think Briggs and Little yarns are so gorgeous! It would look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you making it out of Shelter? Might I suggest a Timberline-along? I won't be able to get cracking until I'm back in Canada, so I'm thinking of a September start. Thoughts?

      Delete
  3. I haven't been as blown away by BT's collections lately, but then they have to go and release this gorgeous mens collection. I queued about 3-4 of the sweaters for my boyfriend who, thankfully, appreciates my handknits. I was also thinking Cascade 220 or even Ella Rae Classic, which comes in some lovely heathered colors. I'm thinking Timberline will be my first one, but mostly because I want to steal it for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very jealous that your boy is into handknits. I think part of the problem with mine is that he is basically an oven and, well, woolly sweaters only make that worse! And, well, I'm definitely thinking a Timberline-along is a good idea. Then maybe we can get those monsters made! (and then we can steal them!)

      Delete
  4. I am sooo in love with this collection. So much so that I even showed it to my ex haha. He actually used to love getting knits from me, and I am legitimately sad it didn't come out while we were still together. I might knit something in here for my brother though. Maybe Fort even though Timberline and Slade are my personal favorites. Can't wait to see your finished knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My dad is considering making Fort for himself. It's such a simple, classic piece!

      Delete
  5. I don't have a guy to knit for but I'm not against wearing men's clothes myself, especially if they look like this.

    ReplyDelete